Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Of agents and movies

One of the lists I'm on is featuring questions and answers with a major agent. An author posted in her blog recently that her agent felt e-published authors were more difficult to sell to NY editors than unpublished authors. I asked this agent if she felt the same way, and she responded that she felt that e-publishing or small press credits were definitely a selling point to NY editors. (She did mention that winning awards or otherwise distinguishing yourself is also desirable.) So like many things, it seems to depend on the agent. I'm making a list of agents who seem to consider e-publishing credits a positive thing, or who have actually represented e-published authors, and when I get around to querying agents again, I'll try the agents on that list first!

On another note, I just finished watching the movie "Win a Date With Tad Hamilton!" It was a typical sweet, cute romantic comedy, and I enjoyed it (DH, on the other hand, gagged his way through it:-). I was struck by something the heroine said, which I think applies to writing romance. She said something along the lines of, "You don't love someone for what they stand for. You love them for the details." Words of wisdom for the romance novelist... you need to really understand why your characters fall for each other, and make sure the reader fully understands why these two people have fallen for each other too. Love IS in the details!

No comments:

Post a Comment