Sunday, May 22, 2005

American English

Wandering around the internet in an effort to avoid cleaning the kitchen, I came across this blogthing via Larissa's site. Here are my results:



Your Linguistic Profile:



65% General American English

20% Dixie

15% Yankee

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern




Interesting. I've always known I speak more or less general American English, although my tendency to say "y'all" gives a bit of Southern flavor to my speech. Also, this Blogthing asked if I refer to "soda," "pop," or "Coke." Actually, I call carbonated beverages "soft drinks." But in the absence of that choice, I opted for "Coke." The words "soda" and "pop" have never passed my lips... I never even heard them till I was an adult! So where did that percentage of Yankee speech come from? I've lived in Virginia (or NC) all my life. Hmmm....

2 comments:

  1. I took the test. Here's my results:

    45% Yankee

    30% General American English

    25% Dixie

    0% Midwestern

    0% Upper Midwestern

    This is very interesting--especially the 25% Dixie. Nobody in my family is from the south. I've lived in NJ all my life. However, my mother came from western Pennsylvania--very close to the West Virginia border. She sounds more like a hillbilly--but not southern. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with pop. As I moved around the country in the military, I adopted soda. So I say them both. The "coke" people make me insane! *g*

    ReplyDelete