Friday, May 6, 2005

The perils of writing novellas

I'm currently working on a serious futuristic, a spoofy futuristic, and a romantic comedy. All novellas. The futuristics are aimed at e-pubs, but I'm writing the romantic comedy with Brava in mind (Kate Duffy encouraged me to submit something else after the Brava novella contest). I posted on Deidre Knight's blog yesterday and asked if they ever took on clients based on a novella, and as I rather expected, she said no, they didn't. That's what I figured (and I suspect it's true of most agents), but it never hurts to ask:-). With the baby and the need to keep my name visible in the e-publishing world, I just don't see myself finishing a full novel this year. So I'll have to wait till next year to approach agents.

Or I could sell a novella to Brava myself and THEN approach agents. Yep... that's an excellent plan *g*.

I have to admit, I'm a bit envious of people who seem able to turn out a brilliant novel every month, like my fellow NCP authors Mandy and Michelle. I don't think I'll ever approach their blazing pace, but I do hope I'll start getting more accomplished this fall, when the baby is a bit older and child #3 goes to preschool three mornings a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment