Thursday, October 27, 2005

Busy, busy, busy

The rest of the year is going to be busy. Forget NaNoBot-or-whatever-it's-called, that month where you devote yourself to writing 50,000 words in an insane rush of eyestrain and butt pain. I already have plenty on my plate, thank you. I'm trying to finish up Christmas Carol in a timely manner (won't do my editor much good if it's not done till January). It's up to 8500 words but I am not going to finish it in 10,000 words. Let's face it-- I suck at writing short. Then I have to read and judge six books for a contest, which is going to take quite a bit of time, and write a short to enter in the Amber Heat contest in early January. And as I believe I may have mentioned at some point, I suck at writing short:-).

I said this to DH, and he said, "So why do you keep trying?" Uh... good question. But there's no other way to approach Amber Quill, so I guess I have to suck it up and write short. 5000 to 12,000 words. Can I write a story that short? I never have... my shortest so far is 13,500. I'm trying to think of it as a challenge, rather than a painful constriction of my natural wordiness, but I'm not sure I've convinced myself. Heck, I can write a love scene that lasts for 5000 words. Ow... this is gonna hurt.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not taking part in Nano either. I wrote 50,000 words this month without it, but those were all for my regular writing gigs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a while, I wrote for a short story magazine that published only romance. It was good training. Unfortuately, the little magazine folded, but it was great fun for a while.

    ReplyDelete