Friday, February 24, 2006

Edits

I got an email from my editor last night asking where the h*ll my edits on Shadows were. No, not really... she was very nice about it:-). But she does want it. I emailed her back and told her I'd pretty much finished them yesterday. I do want to give the whole manuscript a readthrough today to make sure it makes sense (whenever I make changes I always worry some part of the story will no longer be coherent), and then have DH read it over the weekend. So I'll turn it in on Monday.

I made most of the minor changes my editor requested, both because they generally improved the manuscript, and because I don't argue about little stuff much. She did suggest I change "It felt almost as if she were chained" to "It felt almost as if she was chained." I'm pretty sure "were" is correct here, so I left it alone. It's the subjunctive, which is a difficult tense for English speakers (it's used a lot more in Spanish). Anyway, aside from minor grammatical and punctuation problems, there were a couple of more extensive changes, and I made those too, because my editor was right that a couple of aspects of the story weren't logical and needed fixing. And I'm not just sayin' that because she reads my blog!

In reading, I just finished Guardians by Kaitlyn O'Connor, which is a print edition of two of her novellas. Great futuristic romance-- she's a very popular NCP author, and now I see why. Terrific worldbuilding. And I just started reading Heiress for Hire by Erin McCarthy, one of my all-time favorite authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment