Saturday, December 23, 2006

Sing

My family has had a lot of conversations about the real, true meaning of Christmas this year. It's not easy to listen to Christmas music (I loathe my formerly much-beloved Brian Setzer Orchestra CDs this year, because those songs are way too upbeat), and I didn't even really want to put a Christmas tree up. But Vulcan Husband keeps reminding us all that Christmas is important and matters to the whole world, no matter what's going on in our little corner of the world.

He's right, of course. I keep bringing up Dr. Seuss' lovely story How the Grinch Stole Christmas to my kids. I never before fully realized what an awesome metaphor that story is, a metaphor about celebrating Christmas even when you have bad things going on in your life:

Every Who down in Who-ville, the tall and the small,
Was singing! Without any presents at all!
He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming!
IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!

As I walked through the corridors of the hospital yesterday, I realized there were plenty of other people there with us. Unfortunately, bad things still happen at Christmastime, because death and sickness and sorrow don't take holidays. And yet, no matter what grief happens in our individual lives, Christmas comes just the same.

So even with everything bad that's been going on, we've managed to get a tree up this holiday season, as well as some outside decorations. I got the Christmas shopping done (okay, I'm still working on the shopping, but I'm almost done!). We listen to Christmas music during the day (though I greatly prefer Judy Garland and Bing Crosby to Brian Setzer right now) and I wrap packages every night after my kids go to sleep. I even have hopes of getting a batch or two of Christmas cookies done, even if they're just the premade dough kind.

And I've continued practicing with my church choir. Tomorrow night at the late service, as Christmas Eve turns to Christmas, I'll be singing with my choir:

Listen to the angels sing
Listen to the angels sing
Listen to the story of a baby boy
Who's born to be a king

We can all learn a lot from Dr. Seuss' Whos, really. No matter what sorrows there are in your life... keep singing.

3 comments:

  1. Very glad you're celebrating. And yes, the Whos have it right. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, I read your blog often. We don't know one another, but my thoughts, prayers and caring will be with you and yours this holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Grinch. Such a timeless story.

    I hope you and your family enjoy the holiday. Best wishes to all!

    ReplyDelete