Friday, July 16, 2010

Baa baa blue crab

My five-year-old bonds with stuffed toys faster than any kid I've ever had. He saw a stuffed blue crab in the Jamestown gift shop, instantly fell in love with it, and decided he had to have it. I told him we'd buy it later, once we were through running around in the heat, and by the time we'd gotten back he'd named it (with his usual stunning creativity-- its name is Blue Crabby), given it a detailed history and personality, and determined that it would be one of the three stuffed toys he's taking to DisneyWorld. While we were trapped in the traffic jam in the car, it sat in his lap and carried on earnest discussions with him. It just accompanied him to bed, tucked in with a new song ("Mommy, don't sing me 'Baa Baa Black Sheep.' I want to hear 'Baa Baa Blue Crab'"). He's supposed to be falling asleep now, of course, but I can hear him in his room, still conversing with it and singing to it. It's not just a toy; it's his new best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment