Thursday, April 28, 2011

My father drives me nuts

My dad (94) called me today:

"The sound on my new TV quit working."

Since we just bought the TV a couple of weeks ago, I was unconcerned. I answered, "I'll take a look at it tomorrow. You probably pressed something."

"No, no. I didn't touch anything. It's just broken."

"It's fine." I taped over all the buttons on the remote control so he couldn't mess anything up, but of course he could still press one through the tape if he really tried-- and he has an amazing talent for screwing stuff up. "I'll take a look at it tomorrow."

"That won't do any good. It's broken. I need a new one."

"No, you don't. It's fine."

"I don't understand this! The sound shouldn't stop working after two weeks! I knew I shouldn't buy this cheap brand. I need a top-of-the-line Sony."

I resisted the urge to bang my head against the wall. "I told you when you bought it, I have a TV of that exact brand, Dad. I've had it for years. It's not the TV."

"It is the TV. There's something wrong with it. I need a new one."

"I'LL LOOK AT IT TOMORROW, ALL RIGHT???"

But he kept going on about it, for about ten more minutes, and I very politely did not hang up on him. I hope that when I'm 94, my kids are as patient and kind and generally saintly as I am:-).

No comments:

Post a Comment