Thursday, November 1, 2012

A four a.m. conversation

Hero sleeps in my bathroom, and last night about four, I awakened to the sound of him barking. He doesn't usually bark in the middle of the night for no reason, so I lay awake and listened. He wasn't giving his loud, trumpeting watchdog bark, but rather a quiet wuff, wuff. I waited a moment, and then heard an owl hooting nearby. Hero barked in response.

"Quiet," I said sleepily. "It's just an owl."

Hooo, hooo.

Wuff! Wuff!

"Shut up, Hero."

Hooo, hooo.

Wuff! Wuff!

"Quiet, I said!"

Hoooo, hooo.

(Apparently remembering that I'd told him to be quiet) Grrrrrrrrrr.

Hooo, hooo.

(Presumably unable to stop himself from responding, even at the risk of getting in trouble) Wuff! Wuff!

Eventually the owl flew away, the dog quieted down, and I went back to sleep. I hate these late-night conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment