Friday, October 15, 2004

Unwrapping UNWRAPPED

This morning I'm working on UNWRAPPED, my contemporary Christmas novella. My editor is on vacation for a couple of days, but this weekend she wants to see what I've done so far, so I want to send her as much as possible (hopefully enough that she'll actually send me a contract). I've written four pages so far this morning-- it's coming together very nicely and easily. I really like these characters, particularly the hero. I haven't written a jerk hero in a long time. This guy isn't a genuine alpha jerk, but he likes to try to be one, which is a nice change from all the beta nerds I've been writing lately. He even has a jerk hero name: Nicholas Brant. Does that sound like an alpha hero from an eighties historical or what??



UNWRAPPED is also my first effort at a reunion romance. I tend to favor books where the hero and heroine meet for the first time in the book, but it's hard to cram the full development of a relationship into a 20,000-word novella. So these are characters with a history, which is also fun. It's nice to write something a little different... I don't like to get stuck in a rut!

No comments:

Post a Comment