Friday, November 26, 2004

A happy Thanksgiving

We had a very pleasant Thanksgiving. All the food came out well, and our parents (DH's mom and dad and my father) visited from about 11:00 till 5:00. I do wish I could get my mother-in-law to stop cleaning my kitchen-- the woman doesn't have a clue how to relax. I pointed out that the idea was for ME to do the work, but she refused to put down the sponge and step away from the counter. I think I'll tie her to her chair next year:-).



As a side note, yesterday I saw someone mention on a list that the first official Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1623 by the Pilgrims. Wrong, as any Virginian will tell you. The first official Thanksgiving on American soil (celebrated by Europeans, anyway) was celebrated in Virginia in 1619, on the site of what is now Berkley Plantation, according according to these words from the Charter of Berkley Plantation:



"Wee ordaine that the day of our ships arrival at the place assigned for plantacon in the land of Virginia shall be yearly and perpetually kept holy as a day of Thanksgiving to Almighty God."

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Ellen,

    Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! I'm STILL full from mine! *g*

    ReplyDelete