Friday, May 13, 2005

The trend continues

I blogged a while back about the trend of authors previously published in New York writing for e-publishers as well. At least it looks like a trend to me. Dorchester author Bonnie Vanak says on her site that she's sold a manuscript to Ellora's Cave (under the name Blair Valentine, but since it's on the front page of her site I hardly think I'm outing her:-).

Fascinating, as Spock would say. This seems to happen more and more often lately, which suggests either there's significant money to be made in e-pubbing, or that authors THINK there's significant money to be made in e-pubbing!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen! It's the latter of the two options, believe me :)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Snort* That's my take on it too, Desiree. But I hear some EC authors are making a living at their writing, so I could be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would guess the latter too but then I could be completely wrong seeing as I have no idea. But I wasn't under the impression that it was a huge money maker or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ellen! :::waving:::

    No, you didn't out me. :-)

    Actually, I sold to EC not as a possible money maker (money in publishing, what's THAT?) but because Cindrella's Rebellion isn't a mainstream story. It highlights my very twisted sense of humor. The story sort of pokes fun at the publishing industry. Yeah, that will win me LOTS of new contracts in NY, LOL!

    I always wanted to write something, er, a bit daring. And I like reading e-books and always wanted to sell one.

    Here's the irony. I work FT as a writer for a charity. My salary is modest. But it's still a lot more than I'll ever make from publishing. Good thing I love my day job!

    Hope all is well with you and your family. Belated congratulations on the new baby!

    Bonnie Vanak

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Bonnie:-). That's certainly a very common reason for submitting to e-pubs-- publishing something a little off the beaten path is what small press does best. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete