Friday, June 24, 2005

What I'm reading

Things aren't going so great in my writing world this week, so I thought I'd post about what I'm reading. Last week I finished Larger Than Life, by Alison Kent. Very good and very gripping. I keep seeing the word "gritty" used to describe it, and yes, that's accurate. But it was also very sexy and very romantic. An awesome book.

Then I picked up Stardoc, by S.L. Viehl (aka Lynn Viehl aka PBW). This is straight science fiction with a female protagonist. I liked this one a lot, too. I don't read too much straight science fiction because I don't have a clue what to read (I've read a lot of older stuff, like Heinlein and Asimov, but I don't know what's good and new), but I picked this up because I liked If Angels Burn, and I liked it enough to start hunting for the sequels.

I'm still slogging away at 3 Brides for 3 Bad Boys, by Lucy Monroe. There's nothing wrong with her writing, but I guess I'm just going to have to conclude that Monroe is one of those authors I don't get, somehow. I found The Real Deal to be sort of average, and I'm finding this book to be the same way. I can't say exactly why.

It seems to me my reading is getting more varied lately. So far in June I've read two romantic suspense novels, a mystery, a science fiction novel, and a historical paranormal. There was a time when my reading was split evenly between historicals and contemporaries, with the occasional futuristic tossed in for good measure, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more. I've been reading a lot of mystery (mostly Janet Evanovich, so far) and chick lit this year, and some science fiction, along with the usual copious amounts of romance. I guess expanding my horizons is a good thing, though, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment