Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Where is MY pet?

My kids are getting another pet today. A friend of theirs is giving away her guinea pig, because her family discovered their baby is allergic to it. So we're adding a guinea pig to our house. We already have a mini lop rabbit named Bunnicula... the guinea pig happens to be named Chester, which is funny if you've read the children's book Bunnicula. It's not a coincidence, though, as my daughter helped her friend name the guinea pig. DH didn't want another animal (he didn't want the first one), but the girls talked him into it.

Frankly, I'm annoyed because both girls have pets and I don't. Not that I don't like Bunnicula, because I do. (I have to admit I'm not fond of rodents, but I imagine the guinea pig and I will get along all right.) But I want a dog. I love dogs (as a teenager I worked cleaning a kennel for four summers just to be around dogs... that's how much I love dogs) and I had a basset hound growing up, but I haven't had a dog since I was sixteen. Why? DH doesn't like dogs. He won't bend on this subject, so my choices are either to divorce him or to live without a dog. Believe me, there have been times I've been tempted to go with the first option. I really like dogs.

What I'd like, if I had the opportunity, is a farmcollie. This is a dog with the rough collie look but bred more to look like collies of the Victorian period, before the old-fashioned shepherd was interbred with the Borzoi to create the modern slim-nosed collie. The type of dog I want has heavier ears, a shorter muzzle, and a broader backskull than a rough collie. My favorite examples are at this site-- they're actually a rough collie and Australian shepherd cross. Gorgeous dogs. Just gorgeous.

But alas, I'm going to have to get rid of DH first.

2 comments:

  1. Love Bunnicula! But I'd reconsider on the dh vs. dog thing. Dogs shed. Shedding=more time spent vacuuming. More time vacuuming=less time writing. And then there's the fact that the dog won't be nearly the help to you on your mss. that your dh is. *snicker* Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. *G* Now that I've had DH around for fourteen years, I've grown kinda fond of him. I *think* I like him better than a dog. Although there are days *evil grin*...

    ReplyDelete