Wednesday, April 6, 2011

When good boys go alpha

As I've mentioned before, I started watching Castle recently, and I'm catching up on this season via Amazon. I just watched the big episode, 3.13. This post will contain SPOILERS. If you are behind on your Castle watching and don't want to be spoiled, STOP READING NOW.

First of all, this episode ("Knockdown") is of course the one with the big kiss, and that's what I was looking forward to when I downloaded it. But as many people have noted, that highly anticipated moment isn't even the best moment in the episode. For me, the best moment occurred at the end, when Castle tackled the guy threatening Beckett, took him down, and beat the hell out of him.

Why did this moment get to me so much? Well, one of the things I love most about writing beta heroes is creating that moment when the hero suddenly goes alpha, whether because he's protecting the heroine or because he feels he has to take charge of a dangerous situation... or even in bed, when he decides he's got enough confidence to be in charge. This, for me, is the whole point of writing beta heroes-- to see that deep down, they have the guts to protect the woman they love, and that they really do have the strength to take charge when they have to.

Of course, Castle is really not the sort of beta I write. He's not all that geeky (despite a love for lightsabers), and he doesn't wear glasses. But he is often childish and silly-- a big ball of goofy, overgrown adolescent. So for him to go alpha because Kate was threatened was a lovely moment in their relationship, as far as I'm concerned. (And to keep it in character, his hand had to be bandaged afterward, which was a nice touch of realism that's too often missing in fiction.) But that one moment was enough to sell me on the Castle/Beckett relationship forever.

In fact, I think I'm going to go watch it again:-).

No comments:

Post a Comment