Friday, July 30, 2004

Time makes you bolder, children get older...

Today is my oldest daughter's ninth birthday. It is horrifying to contemplate how close she is to adolescence. I remember when she was a tiny baby (well, an eight-and-a-half-pound tiny baby... as tiny as my babies get!), and now she's only nine inches shorter than I am-- and she'll be taller than I am before too long, thanks to the fact that I married a giraffe. My kids are now nine, six, and three... all pretty grown up. But for those of you that don't know, I have a fourth kid on the way, due in February, so that takes some of the sting out of my kids growing up. But eventually I have to stop having babies, and they'll ALL grow up. Sob.



We're having my daughter's birthday party tomorrow, which happens to be Harry Potter's birthday (and J.K. Rowling's as well). So naturally we're having a Harry Potter birthday. This is, I think, the third Harry-themed party she's had. The kid is wild about Harry, and has been since she was five. Over the years we've contributed our fair share to making Ms. Rowling the richest woman in England, I'm afraid:-). But to be fair, Harry's helped keep two of my kids compulsively reading, so we shan't begrudge Ms. Rowling her royalties!

2 comments:

  1. (((Ellen))) but happy birthday to your daughter!! There's nothing to make you feel really old like your kids' birthdays! My oldest will be 11 in a couple months *gulp*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give your daughter a big b-day hug :-). I only have one little guy & he's three. Hoping he'll stay that way for at least a little longer :-). My DH's b-day was yesterday & he turned 34. In my book, that's not old but too him it is :-). Oh & thank you, thank you for your comment on my excerpt of TLD. Trying to find a home for a historical set in Ohio when all I see out there are Westerns isn't going to be easy but I love my story so I determined to find it a good publisher :-).

    ReplyDelete